In order with ITIL*, performance is figured out into the management capacity workflow (Service Delivery), and it is understand as a way that consumes capacity.
*ITIL - Infrastructure Technology Information Library.
Capacity management goals:
- Offers the real capacity, in specifics infra-structures IT areas, on the real time with the good relation between costs and benefits to assist the business necessities;
- Follow the IT services performance and others components supports, starting adjustment jobs to improve the resources activities;
- Influence the capacity demand, checking waste;
- Producing a capable plan providing the necessary resources to reach out the agreed levels on the appropriate time.
Management capacity subprocess:
Managing the business capacity:
Ensure that all future business requirements IT services are considered, have cost justified, are planned and implemented into schedule.
Management capacity of Services:
Follow, measure and manage the services IT performance and ensure that they will assist SLA's, how was agreed with the customer. Analyze, review and manage the services demand.
Capacity manage resources(traditional level):
Follow, measure and manage components and IT infra structure resources. Analyze and relate the resource performance.
Capacity management benefits
- Increase services establish - decrease the risk of lack capacity
- Anticipating the problems of capacity and performance
- IT services Efficiency and the use of resources
- Sufficient capacity for the workload expected
- Opportunities to charge and/or reduce costs
- Forecasts of capacity - proactive process
- New technologies anticipation
- Planned purchased is better than "In a haste purchase"